Thursday 9 August 2007

Tom Sharpe Cover Design






I have always been a big fan of Tom Sharpe novels, as i can submerse myself within his classic english comedy and chaotic dilemmas that he so brilliantly manufactures. I also think that the style of his writing and the subjects and situations that he writes about are well illustrated and represented by Paul Sample who does the covers of his books.

The covers are all quite striking and eye catching through the use of the black copy on the white background. Also the focal point of the covers always feature one of Paul's very expressive cartoon drawings, depicting an iconic scene within the book. I suppose what really impresses me about the novels on the whole is the way in which the covers create a sense of harmony with the style of the book and the way in which it is written. I think this is a good example of the way in which book cover design can really represent the content in an honest and suggestive manner, and help create an identity for the novels.

No comments: